FORMER Dynamos vice-captain, Thomas Magorimbo, has finally made his move after choosing to continue his football career with last year’s league championship runners-up ZPC Kariba.
Magorimbo, who has been out of contract since the end of the year, has been weighing his options after deciding not to renew his contract with the champions.The 29-year old utility player put pen to paper at Gwenya Rechamhembe yesterday as the club begins to take steps to fill the void left by the departure of five key players during the off-season break.ZPC Kariba spokesperson, Shepherd Mandizvidza, said the side was impressed by the coming of Magorimbo.“I can confirm we have signed Thomas Magorimbo to feature for ZPC Kariba this season. ZPC FC is tactically using a strategic approach to ensure that it strengthens its stable to continue putting up a good show in the competitive league.“Magorimbo is an example of the diverse progress that we have made in laying the relevant groundwork in preparation for our journey to raise high the super brand of the power utility as we rub shoulders with other rival stables for supremacy come end of the season.“ZPC is also geared to rally behind its troops to ensure that they are psychologically prepared to always do well in the league,” said Mandizvidza.Magorimbo, who joined DeMbare in 2011 from Kiglon, decided not to continue his dance with the champions after winning four championship medals in succession.
The side had a bad start to the New Year after losing key players — Limited Chikafa to How Mine, Obey Mwerahari, Tonderai Mateyaunga (both to Dynamos), Ephraim Mwinga and Peter Muzondo (both to Triangle).ZPC Kariba coach Saul Chaminuka yesterday told The Herald they were searching for more players to bolster their squad.They also welcomed assistant coach, Paul Chimalizeni, and goalkeepers’ coach Ndawana Dube during the week.Meanwhile, giants Dynamos have welcomed two foreign players as they continue their pre-season preparations.DeMbare are assessing Ugandan striker Kenneth Igama and a midfielder from Ghana.The champions will take a closer look at the player in a practice match against Division One side Mushowani Stars.The match will take place behind closed doors.DeMbare team manager, Richard Chihoro, said they had plans for another match on Sunday.“As you know there has been a number of players trying their luck with the club, we have been joined by a midfielder from Ghana and a striker from Uganda (Igama).“They haven’t signed yet and I am sure the coaches will use the friendly matches at the weekend to make a decision on all the players who have been on trials.“By Monday we should have our squad of 30,” said Chihoro.It appears the Glamour Boys might also go into the new season without attacking midfielders Russell Madamombe and Tafadzwa Rusike.
Club secretary-general Webster Chikengezha said they were experiencing challenges in the negotiations and could be forced to look elsewhere.“We have been negotiating with the players’ agents but it seems nothing is forthcoming. We made our offers to them but we haven’t received a response.“If we cannot make a breakthrough then we may be forced to look elsewhere for replacements,” said Chikengezha.